Reasons Why vILT (Virtual Instructor Led Training) Is Popular
As more and more companies get back to normal, many are still trying to define the future of work for their employees. Virtual instructor led training (vILT) continues to be a popular option.
Even many traditional businesses are choosing to prioritize virtual programs over face-to-face options, or are deciding to run both in tandem to achieve various training goals. Here are some key reasons vILT programs are popular among global businesses.
1. Reduce Your Company's Costs
As a learning leader, you can expect a three-day trip to cost more than $1,000 per person, as per American Express. Airfare, hotels, per diem costs, and other expenses, can be extremely expensive. Even if you only pay the instructor's travel costs, these fees can quickly add up, not to mention the lost time from traveling. With virtual instructor led training, no one has to travel. Instead, your best instructors can teach from their current location. Additionally, you can teach employees from different regions at the same time.
2. Enjoy a Classroom Experience Like Real Life
When online colleges first took off, people often talked about how the educational quality was worse than in-person programs. This is no longer the case. Because of technological advances, it is possible for students to have similar experiences online. In some cases, they can even enjoy a better experience.
Today, vILT programs do not only use recorded videos and presentations. Instead, they are designed to be as interactive as a traditional classroom. Virtual instructors and virtual producers keep students engaged, so they can quickly learn new material.
Through the following tools, you can make virtual programs more interactive and engaging:
- Private and group chats/breakout rooms: These options make it easy to communicate with an instructor, a fellow student, or the entire class.
- Screen sharing: By sharing their screen, the instructor can show the entire class what they are doing on their desktop.
- Virtual training labs: These labs make it easy to practice examples from class. Students can use hands-on exercises to gain a better understanding of the coursework.
- Virtual software: Through vILT software, your students can interact with the course material on a deeper level. Such as Adobe Connect, WebEx Training Center, Zoom, etc.
- Whiteboards: With whiteboards, instructors can show process maps, flowcharts, and other material.
- Remote lab control: This feature allows the instructor to control a student's training screen. By doing this, the instructor can easily show the student how to fix their errors.
- Monitoring tools: Through virtual tools, instructors can monitor students to see how engaged they are. Unlike traditional classrooms, virtual instructors can monitor students continuously instead of just checking in periodically.
3. Enjoy an Easy Transition
With the right training partner converting traditional classroom-based training courses into vILT is possible.
Consider these steps:
Choosing the right vILT platform: The right platform is key for your company's virtual training.
Redevelop training material: While some of your courseware may be the same for virtual programs, you may need to introduce your courses differently. For example, in the introduction of your course, you need to explain how the vILT program works and how students can participate (surveys, chat, breakout rooms, etc).
Facilitating vILT programs is a skill: To make sure your instructors are ready to deliver in a vILT environment, you can offer them additional training. This allows them to use the tools they will need in the classroom. By doing this, the instructor can iron out any challenges before their actual training programs begin.
Ready to get started with Virtual Instructor Led Training,
but not sure where to begin?
Get our FREE checklist Download: 'vILT Preparation & Delivery Checklist'