Posted by Vanessa Branscome on Jul 6, 2018, 10:10:00 AM

 

BlogCover_ProductiveConsultants

CONTRACT TRAINING CONSULTANT TIPS

As a consultant, you may find yourself juggling many different clients and projects at one time. If you don’t stay organized and aren’t the best with time management, you may end up becoming overwhelmed. Or maybe you’re trying to figure out how you can get more work done in less time than it normally takes you. Here are some tips that will help boost your productivity as a consultant.

Avoid Multi-tasking

Multi-tasking is not as efficient as you think. According to one studyabout 98% of the population doesn’t multi-task very well, and the other 2% are “supertaskers…true outliers.” 

Multi-tasking can make you flustered and overwhelmed as your brain tries to refocus on the different tasks that you’re switching between. Set aside time for specific projects or activities throughout the day, such as checking and responding to emails. Doing this will prevent you from wasting time and will ensure you stay on track with your work.

Create To-Do Lists

When you write out your goals, you have a better chance of accomplishing them. Create a to do list each night for the next day so you can better plan your priorities and start the day with clarity. Whether big or small, make the first task on your list either something strategic or something that you’ve been putting off for a while. Make sure you complete the first item on your list first thing in the morning. Accomplishing that task will give you a sense of relief and energize you to move on to the next item. To-do lists are a great tool to keep you on track and ensure you aren’t forgetting anything crucial.

Organize your Workspace

A cluttered workspace equates to a cluttered brain. Take the time to organize your desk, laptop folders, files, and anything else that you use daily. Take a step back and ask yourself “Is this my ideal workspace?” Simple steps such as switching over to natural or LED lighting, setting your thermostat to a temperature you’re comfortable at or even adding a splash of color to your work area are all ways you can enhance your productivity.

Take a Break

Working for long periods of time without breaks leads to increased stress and exhaustion. You’re most likely to get things accomplished when you have the right energy and focus. Standing and stretching or taking a quick walk can increase blood flow to the brain which can boost creative thought. Resting your eyes for 30 seconds can help relieve eye strain symptoms. Remember, productivity is not measured by how many hours you spend sitting at a desk – it’s measured by how much you get successfully accomplish.

Minimize your Distractions

Checking social media and emails throughout the day can be a huge time waster if you haven’t set aside time specifically for those items.

There are many apps you can download to your phone that will help you stay on task and off your phone. For example, the app called Forest allows you to set how long you want your work session to last. You then touch the “plant” button and a countdown timer will start, beneath a picture of a seedling. Ignoring your phone will allow your tree to grow and multiple work sessions will add plants to your forest. If you open your phone to check on the growth of your seedling, messages such as “go back to work” will appear. If you exit out of the app to check your messages or use other apps, your plant will die.

 

Topics: contract training consultant, contract trainer success

Read More